2.10.08

Thou shalt not haggle



Once in a while we head out to the very nice weekly farmers market, in search for some comfort in the form of lovely and edible items. I should point out that if it were for background alone, I should probably be entitled to hold all knowledge and efficiency that form an effective "haggler", as my Mediterranean origin and (even if doubtful) catholic upbringing could testify.
Well, I have to say that all that possible insight was (unfortunately) lost in me. Don't really know if it is plain shyness or just pure stupidity, though probably I tend slightly towards the last one.
Fortunately, that doesn't stop me from having more effective friends, the venison cranberries sausages were absolutely delicious!

As a side dish to these magnificent sausages I made (a tip from Autumn) a jerusalem artichoke pan fry, with carrot, onion and a bit of vegetable stock. For salad we had a improvised coleslaw that started from a recipe but ended somehow different, due to what I had lying around(or not) in my cupboard. You can find the original recipe here.

Green Cabbage Coleslaw
1/4 cup Balsamic vinacre
1 1/2 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 tbs of sugar
salt and pepper to season
3/4 tsp grounded coriander seeds
1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1/2 tsp crushed caraway seeds
1/3 medium green cabbage
water

Mix the liquids, add the spices and the cabbage thinly sliced. Stir and let sit for 1h minimum, give it an occasional stir. The quantities are not 100% accurate, I never manage to know precisely how much amount of what am I using, these measurements are mostly based on visual memory. Next time I may add an apple!
Photo by Rita

No comments: